Texas Family Code
Sec. § 6.305
Acquiring Jurisdiction Over Nonresident Respondent


If the petitioner in a suit for dissolution of a marriage is a resident or a domiciliary of this state at the time the suit for dissolution is filed, the court may exercise personal jurisdiction over the respondent or over the respondents personal representative although the respondent is not a resident of this state if:


this state is the last marital residence of the petitioner and the respondent and the suit is filed before the second anniversary of the date on which marital residence ended; or


there is any basis consistent with the constitutions of this state and the United States for the exercise of the personal jurisdiction.


A court acquiring jurisdiction under this section also acquires jurisdiction over the respondent in a suit affecting the parent-child relationship.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 7, Sec. 1, eff. April 17, 1997.
Last accessed
Jan. 25, 2020