Texas Water Code
Sec. § 57.322
Requirements for Dissolving a District by Petition


To dissolve a district, a petition signed by the owners of a majority of the acreage in the district requesting the commissioners court to dissolve the district and stating the reasons for dissolution must be presented.


At the time the petition is filed, a $50 deposit shall be made to pay for the expenses of a hearing on the petition.


The petition shall be set for a hearing, notice shall be given, the hearing held, and the expense deducted from the deposit in the manner provided in this chapter for creation of the district.


The commissioners court has the same powers over dissolution of a district that it has over creation of a district.


If at the hearing the commissioners court finds that the district should be dissolved, it shall render a judgment reciting its findings and enter an order on its records declaring the district dissolved.


The commissioners court shall appoint the chairman of the board or some other suitable person as trustee to close the affairs of the district without delay, and shall determine the length of the term and the amount of compensation for the trustee.


If the commissioners court finds that the district should not be dissolved, it shall dismiss the petition at the cost of the petitioners and enter its findings on record.
Acts 1971, 62nd Leg., p. 110, ch. 58, Sec. 1, eff. Aug. 30, 1971.
Amended by:
Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 872 (H.B. 2825), Sec. 2, eff. September 1, 2017.
Last accessed
Oct. 14, 2020