Texas Property Code

Sec. § 301.003

In this chapter:


“Aggrieved person” includes any person who:


claims to have been injured by a discriminatory housing practice; or


believes that the person will be injured by a discriminatory housing practice that is about to occur.


“Complainant” means a person, including the commission, that files a complaint under Section 301.081 (Complaint).


Repealed by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 302, Sec. 4(3).


“Conciliation” means the informal negotiations among an aggrieved person, the respondent, and the commission to resolve issues raised by a complaint or by the investigation of the complaint.


“Conciliation agreement” means a written agreement resolving the issues in conciliation.


“Disability” means a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits at least one major life activity, a record of the impairment, or being regarded as having the impairment. The term does not include current illegal use or addiction to any drug or illegal or federally controlled substance and does not apply to an individual because of an individual’s sexual orientation or because that individual is a transvestite.


“Discriminatory housing practice” means an act prohibited by Subchapter B or conduct that is an offense under Subchapter I.


“Dwelling” means any:


structure or part of a structure that is occupied as, or designed or intended for occupancy as, a residence by one or more families; or


vacant land that is offered for sale or lease for the construction or location of a structure or part of a structure described by Paragraph (A).


“Family” includes a single individual.


“Respondent” means:


a person accused of a violation of this chapter in a complaint of discriminatory housing practice; or


a person identified as an additional or substitute respondent under Section 301.084 (Additional or Substitute Respondent) or an agent of an additional or substitute respondent.


“To rent” includes to lease, sublease, or let, or to grant in any other manner, for a consideration, the right to occupy premises not owned by the occupant.


“Person” means:


an individual;


a corporation, partnership, association, unincorporated organization, labor organization, mutual company, joint-stock company, and trust; and


a legal representative, a trustee, a trustee in a case under Title 11, U.S.C., a receiver, and a fiduciary.
Added by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 268, Sec. 40, eff. Sept. 1, 1993. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, Sec. 17.003, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

Last accessed
Jun. 7, 2021