Texas Agriculture Code
Sec. § 12.038
Office of Rural Affairs


The department shall establish and maintain an Office of Rural Affairs. The office shall be headed by a rural affairs director. To be eligible to serve as the rural affairs director, a person must have demonstrated a strong commitment to and involvement in economic development activities in rural areas.


The Office of Rural Affairs shall:


develop a rural resource guide and provide the information to rural areas through print and electronic media and through use of the Texas Business and Community Economic Development Clearinghouse;


provide information to state agencies on the effects of proposed policies or actions that affect rural areas;


cosponsor meetings, to the extent practical, in cooperation with public and private educational institutions to disseminate information beneficial to rural areas;


identify potential opportunities for businesses in rural areas and assist these businesses to maximize those opportunities;


conduct an analysis of the available federal, state, and local government and rural economic development business outreach and data services in rural areas of this state by examining the availability of:


computerized economic development databases that provide data for existing and prospective businesses and communities in rural areas of this state; and


business information outreach service offices or centers that provide comprehensive technical assistance, research, consulting services, training, and other services to businesses in rural areas; and


perform any other functions necessary to carry out the purposes of this section.


In administering this section, the department may:


employ and set the compensation of personnel to carry out the Office of Rural Affairs’ functions under this section; and


consult with:


experts and authorities in the fields of rural development, economic development, and community development;


individuals with regulatory, legal, economic, or financial expertise, including members of the academic community; and


individuals who represent the public interest.


Each state agency must, on request, furnish the Office of Rural Affairs with reports and other information necessary to enable the Office of Rural Affairs to carry out the purposes of this section.


The Office of Rural Affairs may accept gifts, grants, and donations from sources other than the state for the purpose of performing specific projects, studies, or procedures or to provide assistance to rural areas.


Repealed by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1083, Sec. 25(3), eff. June 17, 2011.
Renumbered from Government Code Sec. 481.0067 by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1437, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
Amended by:
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1083 (S.B. 1179), Sec. 25(3), eff. June 17, 2011.
Last accessed
Jun. 7, 2021