Tex. Ins. Code Section 1903.003
Loss Control Services Required


Before writing professional liability insurance for a hospital in this state, an insurer must maintain or provide loss control facilities that:


provide loss control services reasonably commensurate with the risks, exposures, and experience of the insured’s business;


are adequate to provide loss control services required by the nature of the policyholder’s operations; and


include surveys, recommendations, training programs, consultations, and analyses of accident causes.


To provide the facilities required by this section, the insurer may:


employ qualified personnel;


retain qualified independent contractors;


contract with the policyholder to provide qualified loss control personnel and services; or


use a combination of methods described by this subsection.


Independent contractors and other personnel described by Subsection (b) must have the qualifications of a field safety representative. A field safety representative must be an individual who:


holds a:


bachelor’s degree in science or engineering;


bachelor of arts degree in nursing;


bachelor of science degree in nursing, pharmacy, or physical therapy; or


master’s degree in hospital administration;


is a licensed engineer;


is a certified safety professional;


is a certified industrial hygienist;


has at least 10 years’ experience in occupational safety and health; or


has completed a course of training in loss control services approved by the department.
Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 727 (H.B. 2017), Sec. 2, eff. April 1, 2007.

Source: Section 1903.003 — Loss Control Services Required, https://statutes.­capitol.­texas.­gov/Docs/IN/htm/IN.­1903.­htm#1903.­003 (accessed Jun. 5, 2024).

Jun. 5, 2024

§ 1903.003’s source at texas​.gov