Texas Business Organizations Code
Sec. § 252.009
Disposition of Personal Property of Inactive Nonprofit Association


If a nonprofit association has been inactive for three years or longer, or a shorter period as specified in a document of the nonprofit association, a person in possession or control of personal property of the nonprofit association may transfer the custody of the property:


if a document of a nonprofit association specifies a person to whom transfer is to be made under these circumstances, to that person; or


if no person is specified, to a nonprofit association or nonprofit corporation pursuing broadly similar purposes, or to a government or governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality.


Notwithstanding the above, if a nonprofit association is classified under the Internal Revenue Code as a 501(c)(3) organization or is or holds itself out to be established or operating for a charitable, religious, or educational purpose, as defined by Section 501(c)(3), Internal Revenue Code, then any distribution must be made to another nonprofit association or nonprofit corporation with similar charitable, religious, or educational purposes.
Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 182, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 2006.
Last accessed
Oct. 14, 2020