Texas Government Code

Sec. § 508.322
Releasee Restitution Fund


The releasee restitution fund is a fund outside the treasury and consists of restitution payments made by releasees. Money in the fund may be used only to pay restitution as required by a condition of parole or mandatory supervision to victims of criminal offenses.


The comptroller is the trustee of the releasee restitution fund as provided by Section 404.073 (Funds Outside Treasury).


When a parole panel orders the payment of restitution from a releasee as provided by Article 42.037(h), Code of Criminal Procedure, the department shall:


collect the payment for disbursement to the victim;


deposit the payment in the releasee restitution fund; and


transmit the payment to the victim as soon as practicable.


If a victim who is entitled to restitution cannot be located, immediately after receiving a final payment in satisfaction of an order of restitution for the victim, the department shall attempt to notify the victim of that fact by certified mail, mailed to the last known address of the victim. If a victim then makes a claim for payment, the department promptly shall remit the payment to the victim.


If a victim who is entitled to restitution does not make a claim for payment before the fifth anniversary of the date the department receives the initial restitution payment or if, after the victim makes a claim for payment, the department is unable to locate the victim for a period of five years after the date the department last made a payment to the victim, any unclaimed restitution payments being held by the department for payment to the victim are presumed abandoned. The department shall report and deliver to the comptroller all unclaimed restitution payments presumed abandoned under this section in the manner provided by Chapter 77 (Report, Delivery, and Claims Process for Unclaimed Restitution Payments), Property Code.


If on March 1 a department is not holding unclaimed restitution payments that are presumed abandoned under this section, the department shall file a property report under Section 77.051 (Property Report), Property Code, that certifies that the department is not holding any unclaimed restitution payments that are presumed abandoned under this section.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 12.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 856, Sec. 9, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
Amended by:
Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 351 (H.B. 1866), Sec. 3, eff. September 1, 2017.

Last accessed
Jun. 7, 2021